Re: [exim] TNEF

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] TNEF
Hi Michael, on Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:01:22 -0400 you wrote:

> My employer often sends email to me. (Not surprising at all.) I work
> as a contractor at a different location, so they end up sending email
> to my home network's servers. Whenever anyone at the company sends me
> anything, it all gets encapsulated in a TNEF file.

This is going to be very tricky to handle at the MTA level. To be honest,
I would either use ktnef or something at the client side, or just tell
your employer to turn off "rich text sending" (the option is named
something like that) in the piece-of-crap mail client that they are using.
(Well, preferably stop using the piece of crap, but that's likely to be
more of an uphill struggle). I've never had any complaints when asking
people to do that. They usually understand when you explain that they are
sending stuff in some weird nonstandard format. In fact, it can be quite a
good opening example to use in explaining why the program they are using
is so crap.

I try to be co-operative in accepting all kinds of nonsense thrown my way
but employer or not, I'd refuse point blank to go as far as messing around
spending hours trying to install messy server-side decoding of proprietary
junk when they are sending nonsense which is completely unnecessary and
can be fixed by them in a matter of seconds.

Tim