Re: [exim] Mail queue will not prune itself (frozen mail rev…

Autor: Everton da Silva Marques
A: Jeffrey Wheat
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Mail queue will not prune itself (frozen mail revisited)
On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:45:02AM -0400, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:

> I am runnig exim 4.42 with the exiscan patch on a FreeBSD 4.10 system.
> In an average day, the server processes about 1.2 million emails a day.
> Many of the emails that are received are spam (big surprise there) as
> such they have forged headers. Now the problem comes into play when the
> intended recipient is either over quota or they do not exist. Exim will
> freeze the email for the over-quota user as well as the invalid
> recipient once the email gets bounced back after attempting to send
> a bounce to the "sender".

Look at address/callout verification:

38.20. Address verification
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec_38.html#SECT38.20

38.21. Callout verification
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec_38.html#SECT38.21

You may want to use this hint from Tony Finch:

callbacks and dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20040913/msg00181.html