Re: [exim] Mail queue will not prune itself (frozen mail rev…

Autor: David Woodhouse
A: Jeffrey Wheat
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Mail queue will not prune itself (frozen mail revisited)
On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 09:45 -0400, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:
> I am runnig exim 4.42 with the exiscan patch on a FreeBSD 4.10 system.
> In an average day, the server processes about 1.2 million emails a day.
> Many of the emails that are received are spam (big surprise there) as
> such they have forged headers. Now the problem comes into play when the
> intended recipient is either over quota or they do not exist. Exim will
> freeze the email for the over-quota user as well as the invalid
> recipient once the email gets bounced back after attempting to send a
> bounce to the "sender".

This is your problem (and you'll be causing a problem for lots of
innocent third parties too). You shouldn't be generating bounces like
that -- you should reject the mail when it's first offered to you. Use
recipient verification in your RCPT ACL.

--
dwmw2