[exim] Mail queue will not prune itself (frozen mail revisit…

Autor: Jeffrey Wheat
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Mail queue will not prune itself (frozen mail revisited)
I am sure I am not the only person with this issue. I have followed
the mailing lists, searched the archives and have tried many different
config changes without any success.

I am runnig exim 4.42 with the exiscan patch on a FreeBSD 4.10 system.
In an average day, the server processes about 1.2 million emails a day.
Many of the emails that are received are spam (big surprise there) as
such they have forged headers. Now the problem comes into play when the
intended recipient is either over quota or they do not exist. Exim will
freeze the email for the over-quota user as well as the invalid
recipient
once the email gets bounced back after attempting to send a bounce to
the
"sender".

I have tried all the usual tweaks and settings, and still I have emails
in queue that are many days past what should be. Here is a snippit of
my configuration:

timeout_frozen_after = 3d
ignore_bounce_errors_after = 3h
auto_thaw = 3h

begin retry

# Domain               Error       Retries

*                   quota_4d
*                    quota       F,2h,15m; F,3d,1h
*                       refused     F,8h,20m
*                       *           F,4h,30m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jeff