Re: [exim] support for domainkeys

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Exim User's Mailing List
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Exim User's Mailing List
Kopio: David, Tony Finch, David Woodhouse
Aihe: Re: [exim] support for domainkeys
[ On Friday, September 24, 2004 at 17:05:11 (+0100), David Woodhouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [exim] support for domainkeys
>
> Your theory differs from my practice. I was getting lots of fake bounces
> before February; I get almost none now. I'm on many mailing lists,
> precisely one of which has a problem with SES.

BATV cannot be any more effective than SPF or any other similar scheme
at stopping fake bounces -- it's simply impossible. The cart is in
front of the horse. You're trying to wag the dog by the tail.

It is not sufficient to not accept bounces from messages that could not
have generated. The problem has already occurred if any sites attempt
to send such bounces in the first place. Stopping them from being
accepted is not the problme -- the problem is to stop them before
they're ever generated in the first place.

It is not even safe to not accept bounces from messages that one could
not have generated if _everyone_ does not also very strictly enforce
something like SPF or PRA -- anyone can legitimately use another address
as their envelope return address!

All these stupid schemes rely on everyone else implementing the solution
and meanwhile none of these stupid schemes are necessary if we could
only get everyone else to at least stop generating unnecessary bounces
in the first place. You're all solving the wrong problem in ways that
can never work anyway.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>