Re: [exim] Oh boy, am I in trouble ...

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Daniel Tiefnig
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users@exim.org
Aihe: Re: [exim] Oh boy, am I in trouble ...
Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> look for "swaret"

Sounds quite adventurous, don't know how that works out in practice, though.

> yes - but at least you dont get the huge mess of non standard configs
> that debian puts in, in any other distro

Okay, I see it's really just the names of the configfiles, that bites
you. :o)

>> Thats something you have to get used to, yes. But whats "default"
>> at all? AFAIR these defaults changed all the time anyways.
>
> When I compile exim, i know the configure file is called "configure".

Ah, ok. /That/ standards. Well, debian tries to meet a standard for
configfilenames across multiple software packages, not for each package
on its own. (Makes life easier when you're used to that standard.)

>> Huh? I'm using exim on debian, and it does not insist to start from
>> inetd. (Actually, it didn't even suggest to do that.)
>
> exim3 did

| charon:~$ ps -ef|grep exim
| mail   328    1  0 Aug31 ?    00:00:00 /usr/lib/exim/exim3 -q30m

| charon:~$ dpkg -l exim
| [...]
| ii  exim       3.36-11       An MTA (Mail Transport Agent)

I didn't change the default config on this box. Maybe you're talking
about earlier versions of exim, didn't use exim3 too much. (Actually
thats the only box that runs exim3 on debian here.)

>> Most people here start with SuSE, or Mandrake.
>
> that's not the case where I come from .. :)

So maybe you sould tell them, they have to learn the hard way, that
debian is what they want. :o)
(On SuSE, I heard, the exim config is called "yast2". Can you imagine
that? *shudder*)

lg,
daniel