Re: [exim] Oh boy, am I in trouble ...

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Suresh Ramasubramanian
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Daniel Tiefnig
Kopio: exim-users@exim.org
Aihe: Re: [exim] Oh boy, am I in trouble ...
Daniel Tiefnig wrote:
> Depends on which version of debian you use. I'm having much more
> problems with outdated Slackware boxes, as they practically can not be
> upgraded without reinstalling.

look for "swaret"

>> a packaging system that, while quite stable and hassle free, doesn't
>> really play well with hand compiled binaries
>
> _No_ packaging system plays well with files that have been installed "by
> hand".

yes - but at least you dont get the huge mess of non standard configs
that debian puts in, in any other distro

> Thats something you have to get used to, yes. But whats "default" at
> all? AFAIR these defaults changed all the time anyways.

When I compile exim, i know the configure file is called "configure".
exim.conf in exim3 for debian, now exim4.conf .. thats just for starters.

> Huh? I'm using exim on debian, and it does not insist to start from
> inetd. (Actually, it didn't even suggest to do that.)

exim3 did

> It will get even better when (sorry, *if*) GNU/Hurd gets out some time.

that's a big if :)

> True, true. But debian is not aimed at newbies, and I don't know any
> Linux beginners that use it. Most people here start with SuSE, or Mandrake.

that's not the case where I come from .. :)