Re: [exim] support for domainkeys

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: John W. Baxter
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] support for domainkeys
On 9/23/2004 11:46, "Edgar Lovecraft" <exim-list@???> wrote:

> First things first, people always
> get upset about this one, but all mail servers need to have proper
> dns PTR records for the IP address that match the EHLO string given,
> no this does not 'stop SPAM' per say, but at least we know that the IP
> address and host name are easily traceable, I will never figure out why
> people think that a mail server should be able to connect to another
> mail server and give whatever information they want and have all be happy
> with that,

Someone else can reform the world (at 65, I'm too old and tired). I fully
agree that the world SHOULD work that way. And should have worked that way
from (nearly) the beginning.

Until the world is reformed (optimistically 3 years to reach the [unlikely]
IETF consensus and 5 more for implementation), I'm the one here who gets to
answer "Why can't my friend Molly send me email?"

If I were to insist that the EHLO/HELO string match the PTR record, many of
the public school in Washington State (just as one example) would be unable
to send us mail (or at least that was the case last time I looked)...let's
see:

...1CAZIY-0001rB-EF <= "obfuscated"@???
H=(mail.ptsd.wednet.edu) [168.212.160.22]:55245...

# host 168.212.160.22
Host 22.160.212.168.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

(The A record matches, at least. Sigh!)
# host mail.ptsd.wednet.edu
mail.ptsd.wednet.edu has address 168.212.160.22

OK...so that's the school system in our headquarters city...obviously we
exempt them. And then???

Even if I knew the admin at the Port Townsend schools (I do, actually), it
wouldn't help, since it is the state which handles the name service.

--John