Re: [exim] reject-log questions

Author: Walt Reed
To: SH Solutions
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] reject-log questions
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 04:20:20PM +0200, SH Solutions said:
> Hi
>
> I thought, I understood most of exims logs, but now I found 2 stange
> entries:
>
> 2004-09-15 17:56:42 H=januXXXde [134XXX10] F=<keXXXsb@???> rejected
> RCPT <mail@???>: Sender verify failed
> 2004-09-15 21:34:58 rejected HELO from [62XXX41]: syntactically invalid
> argument(s): nt_49613199.intern.XXX.de

For the first one, either the sending domain does not exist, or you have
a callout set that failed to verify the sender. In either case, it's due
to an ACL you set - somewhere you have a "verify = sender" or something
like it.

For the second message, an underscore is an invalid character as part of
a hostname according the RFC standards. Stupid Microsoft allows this.
You can set:
helo_allow_chars = _
to allow broken hosts to be accepted.