Re: [exim] Re: [CLUG-tech] moving to exim

Author: TBlittlefoot
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: [CLUG-tech] moving to exim
On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 06:04:40PM +0100, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> TBlittlefoot <littlefoot8@???> wrote:
> >
> > If you won't, I am going to have procmail dump your posts and any
>
> OK then - I promise I won't mind, not even a little bit. Actually, I
> probably won't even notice.
>
> > Just calling him ignorant and telling us to RTFM is lame and a waste
> > of everyone's time.
>
> I'd already answered the OP's question in some detail, higher up in the
> thread. So had Tim. The poster with the incorrect advice added nothing to my
> original post; the OP has his answer. End of thread.
>
> > Demonstrate that *you* know what you are talking about or take a hike.
>
> Errrr. no, thanks all the same.
>
> Peter

I read the thread, Peter, from the very beginning.

Here's what you said:

Hello Brent

The canonical place to learn about Exim is the Specification which can
be found on the www.exim.org website, or with your Exim distribution.
It contains all the definitions you're looking for, along with huge
amounts of information about how Exim works. You don't need to know
all of this, but it will help you get to grips with the basics and let
you ask better questions here when you need specific help.

Philip's Exim4 book (http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-book/ - available from
the usual sources) is excellent reading also - it contains more
background explanation and examples than the spec document, although
it is becoming a little dated as Exim takes on more features.

This is a bit of a 'RTFM' answer - people here will gladly answer your
specific questions as you work through your Exim implementation, but
it will pay you to go through the docs yourself first.

Good luck....

Peter

endquote

This is not a list devoted to advanced topics, and Brent and myself
and the other newbies deserve a better answer than "RTFM".

We all know there is a manual.

We also know that the manuals for any complex program are very difficult
for people that are not familiar with it. Exim is not like Sendmail.

So basic questions deserve thorough answers and all you have done here
is waste space.

If you aren't into answering a question well, I'd suggest that you just
don't post a response to it.

If you are going to call someone "wrong", then I'd suggest that you post
what is *right*.

Tom

--
    PLEASE mail me in PLAIN TEXT ----------- THANK YOU

And post stuff that belongs on the list on the list.