Re: [exim] pipe command in user filter - pleas help!

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Swantje & Michael Ludwig
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] pipe command in user filter - pleas help!
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Swantje & Michael Ludwig wrote:

> I have a problem running a pipe command within a user filter.

You can't. A user filter can *set up* a pipe delivery, but it does not
run till later, along with all the other deliveries.

> As described in the filter spec in 3.13,

Exim 4 was released in February 2002. Exim 3 is dead. Most Exim experts
can no longer remember much about it (I certainly can't).

> I thought I could use $message_id as a variable which is expanded
> whilst the pipe is being executed.

You should be able to do that.

> Here is what I have in my user .forward file:

[snip]>

> pipe "/admin/work/myscript.sh $message_id"

[snip]

> This is what exim filter testing gives me:

[snip]

> Pipe message to: /admin/work/myscript.sh $message_id

[snip]

So what is the problem? That is what will happen.

> So why does the pipe command don't use the "message_id" - or
> doesn't it show up correctly displayed while testing a filter?

The filter shows the unexpanded pipe command. Expansion doesn't happen
till the pipe delivery happens, and that never happens while testing.