Re: [exim] New lines in an in-line ACL

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] New lines in an in-line ACL
On 9 Sep 2004 at 17:50, Doug Jolley wrote about
    "Re: [exim] New lines in an in-line ":

| > So maybe try it without them
|
| Well, I'll be darned! It worked!

Good!

| IOW, I take
| it that you were not surprised that my having
| real newline characters within the in-line ACL
| didn't work even though the entire in-line ACL
| was enclosed within double quotes.

Correct. You didn't make it clear whether you used line continuation
syntax or not, but it wouldn't work either way. With proper line
continuation, there are no newlines left in the resulting logical
line. Without line continuation, you'd have a syntax error when the
matching close quote is not found on the (first) line.

| I thought the double quotes would have allowed me
| to embed real newline characters. If you'd care
| to pass along why that doesn't work, I'd love to
| hear it.

I can't speak to the reasoning behind Philip's design choices, but
the documentation gives me no reason to expect literal newlines
within a quoted string to behave as you expected.

The config file processing is line oriented, the only documented way
to have a single statement span multiple physical lines is to use
explicit line continuation syntax. In which case the trailing
backslash and all whitespace trailing (on the continued line) and
leading (on the continuation line) whitespace is ignored, including
the newline.

- Fred