Re: [exim] Exim total integrated solutions - putting it all …

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim total integrated solutions - putting it all together
I'm not suggesting we lock into one OS. In fact - it would be best if a
total integrated solution were created from parts that are supported on
all Unix platforms. Some of this integrates nicely - others do not - and
much is incomplete.

For example - Exim - ExiScan - ClamAV - SpamAssasin - Mailman -
Saslauthd - SquirrelMail - this is a very smooth integrated package
where the interface is fairly well documented and a little standardized.
But then there are pieces that are not.

Virtual domains - no starndards at all. Nor is there anything for
POP/IMAP and user ID management. I have something that works for me -
but the people who do it similar a very small.

Even though this is an Exim support forum - who uses only Exim? Most of
the issues here involve getting exim to work with all this other stuff.
So - my thinking is - lets develop some tools to integrate the fringe stuff.

Here's what I'd like to see. Virtual domains one one IP address - what
IMAP/POP servers support this? How do they authenticate? Where do they
store the email? What format do they use? How do you store user and
passwod information? How do you manage that? Who gets to create accounts
for what domains? Can users change their own email passwords?
Forwarding? Preferences? These are areas that are quite murky.