[exim] configuring for pop and aliases

Author: Dermot Paikkos
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] configuring for pop and aliases
Hi managers,

SYS: Tru64 UNIX 5.1, exim 4.22

Can I first off let a a huge scream that I have to resort to the list
for this. I should be able to figure this out for myself.

I want to move my mail server from an exim 3.2 to a newer machine.
The old system had a aliases file that reads like:

user:    |/var/adm/exim/pop ${local_part}
user:

pop was a link to an spop binary that looks like it appends the mail
into an existing file for the pop user. The conf file used a
pipe_transport to do this.

Under 4.2 (or later) I am guessing that I no longer need to use a
pipe and can use a mail_dir format directly. I say guess as I can not
find a spop anywhere. So first question is what mail_dir format
should I use for popd? popd seems to use ^A^A^A^A
^A^A^A^A as a delimiter for each email.

The next question is what does an aliases file look like? I am used
to the above format and my attempts at modifying it have been woeful.

This is what I thought it should look like:
dermot:            /var/spool/pop/dermot
dermot.paikkos:    dermot

but if I use this format I seem to get sender verify failed!

Last question, should I be using the appendfile or redirect as the
driver? Appendfile seems to do all that I need but redirect is given
as the default.

Sorry for the long post. Cheers.
Dp.

~~
Dermot Paikkos * dermot@???
Network Administrator @ Science Photo Library
Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668