[exim] Exim total integrated solutions - putting it all toge…

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim total integrated solutions - putting it all together
ok - hoping to start something here - but don't know what. Most everyone
here has similar problems and needs and we're using a lot of the same
tools together to get the job done. And a lot of it is very similar -
yet a lot is very different. And - I always learn new tricks out there
to do new things that I always wanted to do. I have put together a total
package that I'm somewhat happy with - but would like to make
improvements. I might be nice to somehow coordinate examples of total
email solutions.

Anyhow - I think that there needs to be a project of some sort to
integrate this all together.

Most of you are probably using a lot of the same things. Here's my setup:

I'm using Exim with a virtual email setup that allows me to host some 80
domains on one IP address.

mta: exim
spam: spamassassin 3.0 pre
viruses: clamav
virtual domain management: linuxconf
pop, imap - patched washington university imap - patched for virtual
dsomains for linuxconf.

linuxconf gives me the ability to have a web interface to create user
accounts - aliases - let users vhange passwords - and allow management
as to what users can set up what domains. I'd like to go to cyrus but
have to many things integrated to change easilly.

using saslauthd for authenticated smtp.
maillist: mailman
spam reporting: razor, pyzor, dcc
linux: fedora core 2
filesystem: reiser
been stealing ACL anti spam code where I can find it.

custom tricks:
I support direct delivery to server side imap folders =
user-folder@???

I classify spam into high and low scoring and deliver them to server
side imap folders. This is my best trick yet.

I have a script that deletes email over 10 days old from specified imap
folders. spam and trash

I have a script that reads server side imap folder (spam-missed) for
bayesian training and razor reporting.

I have a bunch of really good filters that add headers for spam assassin
to evaluate then remove the headers on the second pass.

I have the ability to read text files as a giant regex or expression
allowing very kool black lists and white lists. Hope to do more with
this. I think I'm the only one doing this and it's very powerful.

Things I want to do:

I think maildir is probably better tham mbx but currently stuck in mbx land.

I like my linuxconf solution but worry about it's future. Would like to
switch to cyrus but need to replace linuxconf for management. I'm not
using ldap or mysql - but wonder if I should. And there's probably a lot
of other good stuff I'm missing out on.

Love to have some PHP code to authenticate against saslauthd and then
edit per user text files so users can create vacation messages - white
lists - black lists - etc.

So - who has thoughts on the "big picture" integrated solution stuff?
How to we all better clue it all together.