Re: [exim] DNS Blacklists and relayed messages

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Jerry, exim-users
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] DNS Blacklists and relayed messages
At 4:29 pm -0400 2004/09/03, Jerry wrote:
[...]
>However, my attglobal.net id gets most of the SPAM. It is set to
>forward to my "real" email address, where I'm running exim. It
>looks like this forward is interfering with the DNS blacklists.
>
>Is there any way to detect in the ACL's who originated the message?
>
>Eventually I would like to deny the messages (I'm currently the only
>user - and any other users would be my employees) based on the
>originating IP instead of the relaying one?

if you start denying then the attglobal.net server will generate
bounces, most of which will be collateral spam, as the sender address
will be probably forged. Either you abandon the forwarding service
and address and deal with your mail yourself, or you should not deny
messages that have been forwarded. The only exception is denying
based on unroutable sender address, as this should by definition not
generate deliverable bounces (you can even do sender callouts if you
like).

Giuliano