Re: [exim] Exim / POP3 with Compressed mails

Author: Jim Roberts
To: Charlie Elgholm, exim-users
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim / POP3 with Compressed mails
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charlie Elgholm" <charlie@???>

> Hi!
>
> Is there anyway to make Exim compress the mail when saving in in the users
> maildir?
> For instance:
> post_save_command = bzip2 $file_name
>
> of something like that?
>
> On the other hand, is there anyway for the Courier POP3D daemon to
> "uncompress" the file before streaming them to the user via TCP/IP??
>
> This must be a common "wanted-item" by many SMTP/POP3 sever installations
> out there.
>
> /Charlie

Why not set up a compressed folder or partition on the storage drive(s)?
That would achieve what you want without having to modify Exim or
Courier, or anything else you might later want to have access to the files.

I know it's possible in Windoze, so I presume it's likely possible in *nix,
too. (i.e. please don't ask me HOW to do it, I'm just suggesting it as a
possible solution).

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.