Re: [exim] Exim to Sendmail Preserving User Accounts and Ema…

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Jeff Haug
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim to Sendmail Preserving User Accounts and Emails
On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 09:11 -0700, Jeff Haug wrote:
> I would like to convert my server from sendmail to Exim and the major
> problem I see is in moving existing user accounts and saved email over
> to Exim. I have been unable to locate any resourses that detail how
> this conversion is done. It would be very helpful to have some general
> instructions on the process.

This is because in general[*] both sendmail and exim do not "contain"
user accounts, and the user mail spool is also external to them. Both
will in a normal configuration work off the hosting unix system's user
database, and deliver to the default mail spool. So its not an issue.

[*] NOTE
Its possible to configure either exim or sendmail to have their own
special user database and/or a separate mail spool using one of many
different formats. However if you have done a specific config like this
you really ought to know how it works, and at least hint as to what teh
setup is before asking questions on the list.

    Nigel.