Re: [exim] Exim / POP3 with Compressed mails

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim / POP3 with Compressed mails
Charlie Elgholm said:

> Is there anyway to make Exim compress the mail when saving in in the users
> maildir?
> For instance:
> post_save_command = bzip2 $file_name
>
> of something like that?

You can define your own local delivery agent in a pipe transport which
deals with such deliveries. This could probably accomplish what you're
asking for.

> On the other hand, is there anyway for the Courier POP3D daemon to
> "uncompress" the file before streaming them to the user via TCP/IP??

No idea (but I doubt it). Try a Courier list?

> This must be a common "wanted-item" by many SMTP/POP3 sever installations
> out there.

I'm not sure you're right - disk is cheap, processor cycles are not. Such
a scheme would drive up the processor load enormously on a busy server.

Peter