Re: [exim] Exim Newbie Seeks Help ;)

Author: Wakko Warner
To: dave
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Newbie Seeks Help ;)
> I moved /etc/aliases and exim complained that it was missing. I believe
> the above router is above the one that does local deliveries.
>
> The OS is Redhat 9, using the bundled berkley db. I compiled exim from
> source also.
>
> After editing /etc/aliases, I have been running /usr/bin/newaliases -
> this is correct yes?

newaliases does nothing unless configured to. Exim uses the file as is.
Sendmail uses a database instead of text files which newaliases converts
aliases to the db format.

> Below is the output from exim with the debug flag. Thanks for your help.
>
> /usr/exim/bin/exim -v -bt -d test@???

[snip]
> Address testing: uid=0 gid=500 euid=0 egid=500
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Testing test@???
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Considering test@???
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> routing test@???
> --------> dnslookup router <--------
> local_part=test domain=domain.com
> checking domains
> domain.com in "domain.com"? yes (matched "domain.com")
> domain.com in "! +local_domains"? no (matched "! +local_domains")
> dnslookup router skipped: domains mismatch
> --------> system_aliases router <--------
> local_part=test domain=domain.com
> calling system_aliases router
> rda_interpret (string): ${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
> search_open: lsearch "/etc/aliases"
> search_find: file="/etc/aliases"
> key="test@???" partial=-1 affix=NULL starflags=0
> LRU list:
> :/etc/aliases
> End
> internal_search_find: file="/etc/aliases"
> type=lsearch key="test@???"
> file lookup required for test@???
> in /etc/aliases
> lookup failed
> expanded:
> file is not a filter file
> parse_forward_list:
> system_aliases router declined for test@???

[snip]

do you have "test@???" in /etc/aliases?

I'm quite puzzled at the moment why it's doing this.

I'm still on 4.24.

I can try your config on my system if you want to email it to me (and
/etc/aliases)

I have everything for exim under /etc/exim4 (including aliases)