Re: [exim] Exim Newbie Seeks Help ;)

Author: dave
To: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Newbie Seeks Help ;)
Wakko Warner wrote:

>>>Could you post your router configuration? Appears that it may be using
>>>another file.
>>>
>>>You could use the debugging (see man page for -d)
>>>

>>Is this what you mean?:
>>
>>system_aliases:
>> driver = redirect
>> allow_fail
>> allow_defer
>> data = ${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
>># user = exim
>> file_transport = address_file
>> pipe_transport = address_pipe
>>

>Close to what I meant. According to this, it uses /etc/aliases as the
>lookup database. If you remove this file, exim should complain about the
>missing file. That is of course you have this router above the one that
>does local deliveries. You might find it helpful to use the debug_print
>option (I think that's what it's called) and use -bt again.
>
>Which OS are you using (if linux, what distro?)
>
>I'm using debian linux. I'm not using the stock exim packages. I decided
>to compile it to my liking. heavy was too heavy, light didn't have what I
>wanted.

I moved /etc/aliases and exim complained that it was missing. I believe
the above router is above the one that does local deliveries.

The OS is Redhat 9, using the bundled berkley db. I compiled exim from
source also.

After editing /etc/aliases, I have been running /usr/bin/newaliases -
this is correct yes?

Below is the output from exim with the debug flag. Thanks for your help.

/usr/exim/bin/exim -v -bt -d test@???
Exim version 4.41 uid=0 gid=0 pid=30098 D=fbb95cfd
Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.0.14: (November 18, 2001)
Support for: iconv()
Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch dbm dbmnz
Authenticators:
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile autoreply pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
changed uid/gid: forcing real = effective
uid=0 gid=0 pid=30098
auxiliary group list: <none>
configuration file is /usr/exim/configure
log selectors = 00000ffc 00010400
trusted user
admin user
originator: uid=0 gid=0 login=root name=root
sender address = root@dave@???
Address testing: uid=0 gid=500 euid=0 egid=500

Testing test@???

Considering test@???

routing test@???
--------> dnslookup router <--------
local_part=test domain=domain.com
checking domains
domain.com in "domain.com"? yes (matched "domain.com")
domain.com in "! +local_domains"? no (matched "! +local_domains")
dnslookup router skipped: domains mismatch
--------> system_aliases router <--------
local_part=test domain=domain.com
calling system_aliases router
rda_interpret (string): ${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
search_open: lsearch "/etc/aliases"
search_find: file="/etc/aliases"
key="test@???" partial=-1 affix=NULL starflags=0
LRU list:
:/etc/aliases
End
internal_search_find: file="/etc/aliases"
type=lsearch key="test@???"
file lookup required for test@???
in /etc/aliases
lookup failed
expanded:
file is not a filter file
parse_forward_list:
system_aliases router declined for test@???
--------> userforward router <--------
local_part=test domain=domain.com
checking for local user
userforward router skipped: test is not a local user
--------> localuser router <--------
local_part=test domain=domain.com
checking for local user
finduser used cached passwd data for test
localuser router skipped: test is not a local user
no more routers
test@??? is undeliverable:
Unknown user
search_tidyup called