RE: [exim] Fw: Exim, GPL, and IPR

Author: Hochstrasser Benedikt
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] Fw: Exim, GPL, and IPR
Peter Bowyer wrote:

It has been mooted that the said license is incompatible with the GPL,
and Exim is being held up as an example of an MTA which wouldn't be able
to incorporate the technology.

<quote from Kevin Peuhkurinen's post>
As Sender-ID relies on rapid adoption, and there are so many major ISPs
and Universities that will not be able to adopt it without changing
their MTA, I just don't see how anyone could endorse Sender-ID. The GPL
issue is going to hamstring widespread adoption.
</quote>
<<<

Now if I were malicious then I'd say it's Microsoft's /intent/ to push
license-incompatible MTAs out of the race.
Question is - how much of a chance does yet-another-proprietary approach
have? IMHO only an open, royalty-free, friendly-license standard has the
potential of widespread acceptance.
So let's wait for an RFC...

--
Ben