Re: [exim] exim cygwin and dsearch (kind of long)

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim cygwin and dsearch (kind of long)
mnsanghvi@??? wrote:
> Peter,
>
>      Thank you so much !!!  And now in order to setup the various
> aliases, I just need to edit the /etc/aliases file, yes ?

>       How do I handle certain addresses where I might have say
> something
> like  xyz@??? but that does not exist for either s.org or k.com ?
> By putting an alias for xyz in /etc/aliases, wouldn't that be used by
> all the domains ?

Yes, it will. This differs from what you said you wanted. Lets' start
again...

You can configure a router which handles simple virtual domains with a
variation on a standard alias file, like this:

virtual_aliases:
    driver = redirect
    domains = +virtual_domains
    data = ${lookup {$localpart@$domain} lsearch {/etc/virtaliases}}

make a domainlist for the virtual domains like this:

domainlist virtual_domains domain1.com : domain2.com : domain3.com

Make sure your virtual domains are not listed as local domains as well.

And in the virtaliases file, put complete addresses on the LHS

eg

a@???: a
b@???: b

where a and b are local users. Bake until firm to the touch.

> Or does Exim work diffrently in this regard.

Exim will work any way you want it to - that's part of the problem coming to
it from another MTA. It's ultimately flexible, and there's not necessarily a
'right' way of doing anything. For example, a small modification to the
above router would allow a separate alias file for each virtual domain; you
can look things up in dbm files, SQL databases, LDAP, etc etc (yes, I
remember you're lookup-challenged....)

Peter