[exim] exim cygwin and dsearch (kind of long)

Author: mnsanghvi
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] exim cygwin and dsearch (kind of long)
'allo,

      I have recently been made to use Exim by circumstances that I
don't have control over ( Lord Zeus/Jupiter/Indra/Thor and his lignthning) due to which a hard drive on my PowerMac based Linux box is dead.  I am trying to
setup a backup solution for email on my Windows 2000 Professional system
where I am running Cygwin.  My need to get Exim working is urgent as I
loosing job oppurtunities while my email is down.

       I normally use Postfix.  But since Postfix has no support for Windows
based machines (directly or via Cygwin) I'm using Exim now.  I have it installed
and setup to the point where I can see that email's are coming in, sort of.

        I need to use virtual domains, and used a setup that is given in the
online documentation.  Unfortunatly, the cygwin binary does not support
'dsearch' lookup types.  It says so in the log file:

----- cut and paste from /var/log/exim/exim_main.log -------
2004-08-24 11:55:33 lookup type "dsearch" is not available (not in the binary - check buildtime LOOKUP configuration)
2004-08-24 11:57:32 lookup type "dsearch" is not available (not in the binary - check buildtime LOOKUP configuration)
2004-08-24 11:57:45 lookup type "dsearch" is not available (not in the binary - check buildtime LOOKUP configuration)
2004-08-24 11:58:20 lookup type "dsearch" is not available (not in the binary - check buildtime LOOKUP configuration)
2004-08-24 11:59:44 lookup type "dsearch" is not available (not in the binary - check buildtime LOOKUP configuration)
2004-08-24 12:03:39 lookup type "dsearch" is not available (not in the binary - check buildtime LOOKUP configuration)
------ end of cut and paste ---------------------------------------

I am a Exim newbie, but not a Unix newbie. Having searched the
documentation as well as googled for it, I am even more confused about
how to do the virtual domain setup. The following is the setup I would like
to get:

I have three domains ( s.org, k.com, t.com ), that all point in DNS to my
Windows2KPro system. I would like to receive email on this system for all
three domains. Email to user@??? or user@??? or user@??? will end
up in the same mailbox /var/spool/mail/user.

In postfix it was just setting up one file and essentially creating aliases within
each domain to point to either a local user or a remote address.

How do I go about achieving this in Exim, seeing as that I do not have
several lookup types available to me under Cygwin (reference to post
http://www.exim.org/mailman/htdig/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20030407/014183.html )

sorry about being long winded. And as I said earlier, this is sort of urgent
and would appreciate any step by step setups that folks would have. I
will learn the stuff once I get it to work correctly.

cheers,

       mehul