Re: [Exim] distributed mail spool

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] distributed mail spool
Hi Marten, on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:06:48 +0200 you wrote:

> how can I setup a distributed mail spool? I have several webservers,
> that are sending their messages directly to the recipient. But instead,
> I want them to react as a smart host, so that they just deliver the
> messages to a mail-out spool where the final delivery is done. The smart
> host thing is not the problem. But if too much webservers share one
> mail-out spool, it takes too much time until the messages are delivered.
> So my idea is that the webservers are sending their messages to one of
> the mail-out spools round robin or randomized. How could I do this? Is
> there any possiblity to get a random entry of a list in an expansion?

Assuming you have a "manualroute" router to push your mail to a central
smarthost (is that what you mean by sharing a mail-out spool?), you could
probably use the hosts_randomize option on that router? Or use the
"randomize" option to the route_list option. (Search the manual for more
info about these options).

Alternatively, if your manualroute looks up to a host "host.example.com",
you could probably just use round-robin DNS.

Tim