Re: [Exim] Callout timeouts: opinions sought

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Alan J. Flavell, Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Callout timeouts: opinions sought
On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 14:58 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 14:46, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> > I'm convinced that I've seen an MTA respond OK to MAIL FROM:<> , and
> > then respond to the RCPT TO with a diagnostic which rejected the null
> > sender address.

<...>

> That might well happen if someone forges a message from (say) the
> exim-users list (using the list address as envelope sender - since the
> list sends no mail itself it is configured to reject bounce messages),
> or from people using one-time or keyed sender addresses - David
> Woodhouse is, I believe, one person doing that.

Indeed -- but those are situations where it's perfectly acceptable to
reject the mail, and nobody needs to see a bounce because you _know_
it's a forgery.

mail from:<>
250 OK
rcpt to:<linux-mtd@???>
550 Lists do not send messages and should not receive bounces
rcpt to:<dwmw2@???>
550-This address never sends messages directly, and should not accept bounces.
550-Please see http://www.infradead.org/rpr.html or contact
550 postmaster@??? for further information.
quit
221 pentafluge.infradead.org closing connection

--
dwmw2