Re: [Exim] checking quota before accepting the message

Author: Nathan Ollerenshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] checking quota before accepting the message
On Aug 13, 2004, at 6:24 PM, Philip Hazel wrote:

> It would have to be fork + exec, in order to regain root privilege.
> Far too heavy and kludgy, IMHO. If you don't want to write a daemon,
> you could write a setuid program that did the job, and call it using
> ${run}.

OK. I'll write a daemon to do it. It sounds like, as you say, its the
best choice, as it can just run and do its thing without having too
much logic in Exim.

>> Can I twist your arm somehow?
>
> No. I have no time at present for peripheral activities.

Well, I meant, on the wishlist.. :)

> Add this line at the start of your retry rules:
>
> * quota
>
> That will bounce them without ever retrying.

Great, thanks :)

>> Some of the big mailservers you hit out there, hotmail etc, will tell
>> you if a mailbox is full at RCPT time. I'd really like to be able to
>> do
>> that in a clean way.
>
> People have wanted this for a long time.

I thought about it, looked at the ${readsocket ... } stuff, and I think
its the way to go like you said. It should be easy enough to write a
daemon that does what needs to be done here rather than making Exim do
crazy stuff just to check if the user is over quota or not.

I'll give it a go. This C stuff isn't so hard, anyway. :D (I'll
probably wimp out and use a real mans language, like perl. Ha ha.)

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - UNIX Systems Engineer
ValueCommerce - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp/