Re: [Exim] checking quota before accepting the message

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nathan Ollerenshaw
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] checking quota before accepting the message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:

> But, to fix the problem for everyone, you could fork off a 'fake'
> delivery process which just reports back to the parent regarding quota
> usage? A bit heavy I know, but its better than letting the messages sit
> in the queue IMHO.

It would have to be fork + exec, in order to regain root privilege. Far
too heavy and kludgy, IMHO. If you don't want to write a daemon, you
could write a setuid program that did the job, and call it using ${run}.

>> The "right" way is probably for somebody to write a daemon that can
>> run as root and be accessed via a socket.
>
> Can I twist your arm somehow?

No. I have no time at present for peripheral activities.

> Failing a feature like that, what should I do with these messages
> queuing up due to full mailboxes? Can I make them bounce or is it ok to
> let them sit there for the timeout period and let them bounce later?

Add this line at the start of your retry rules:

* quota

That will bounce them without ever retrying.

> Some of the big mailservers you hit out there, hotmail etc, will tell
> you if a mailbox is full at RCPT time. I'd really like to be able to do
> that in a clean way.

People have wanted this for a long time.