Re: [Exim] checking quota before accepting the message

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nathan Ollerenshaw
CC: Jeremy Harris, Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] checking quota before accepting the message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:

> Still, it would be nice to have a builtin like
>
> smtp_rcpt_check_quota = true
> smtp_rcpt_check_quota_message = Mailbox full

I have always steered clear of trying to build in quota-checking at RCPT
time, for a number of reasons, not least of which is the permissions
problem. The Exim process that is receiving is running as "exim"; it may
not be able to access the relevant files/directories in order to do
quota calculations; nor can it access the data for system quotas.

> Would be really useful for people doing large mail systems, I think.
> Philip, wishlist? :)

I don't think it is possible to do this directly inside Exim.

The "right" way is probably for somebody to write a daemon that can run
as root and be accessed via a socket.