Re: [Exim] What is better OS for Exim

Autor: Walt Reed
A: Jeyanolipavan, Raviraj
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] What is better OS for Exim
On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:32:36PM +0100, Jeyanolipavan, Raviraj said:
> --
> We are in the process of upgrading our exim mail hubs
>
> Currently we are using 3 SUN Ultra10's.
>
> Which are heavily loaded, as our mails filtered through Message labs,
> which only send mail to one Hub? With one fallback
>
> We might have to use load balancer to receive mails on all hubs. Which
> is an option?
>
> We are planning to move to Linux probably SUSI, purely on the bases of
> cost oh Hardware.

Good PC hardware isn't cheap either. If you are a Sun house, maybe
Solaris X86 would be a good bet too.

In any case, you need to find exactly where your performance issues are.
Are they disk, memory, CPU, etc... Spend your money on the part that is
the problem now.

Hardware load balancers are still WAY expensive. There are other load
balancing options for Linux and BSD that you may want to consider, or
ways of processing mail that may be more efficient.