Re: [Exim] exim-4.34/spamassassin looping

Autor: Mark T. Valites
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] exim-4.34/spamassassin looping
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Tim Jackson wrote:

> Hi Mark, on Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:46:48 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:
>
> > exim-4.34/exiscan-4.34-22, compiled from source
> [snip]
> > My spamassassin router & transport look like this:
> [snip standard-looking-at-a-glance spam router/transport]
>
> You mention that you're using Exiscan, but then go onto configure
> SpamAssassin the "old" way using routers/transports. Is this intentional?
> What are you using Exiscan for if not for this? Have you considered
> calling SA from Exiscan instead? Then you would do away with the whole
> clumsy reinjecting messages back into Exim and certainly the problem you
> describe (looping messages) would go away. I'm guessing that there may
> also be some small performance gain (perhaps significant on large scales
> like yours?) by not having to fork a spamc process and then re-exec

Exim
> for each message.

I'm rejecting at SMTP DATA time with Exiscan if it's above a high site
threshold, then running SA the "old" way in order for individual user
preferences to apply the 2nd time around.

But now that I see a message from the author of the Spam & Virus Scanning
with Exim 4 using Exiscan guide, I begin to wonder if I've made a gross
mistake. In section 3.1.2 of your guide, 'hybrid solution a' led me to
believe that individual preferences were not applied when SA was running
at SMTP DATA time & that I could rerun SA later on to get those. Did I
misread this?

I *was* initially a little worried about the load this/clamav would induce
espcially scanning twice, but performance han't been a problem at all!
(~125,000 messages/day) & the two machines are pretty much just sitting
idle so far. I suspect running SA on the ~8 other machines helps quite a
bit with this though.

> (also, if you're planning to do any rejection based on the SA results -
> please make sure you're not generating collateral spam. Thanks.)

I don't do any rejection after exiscan is done & SA is called the 2nd time
- I deliver the message & it's up to the recipient to decide what to do at
this point.

One additional tiny thing I added was a condition on my vacation router to
not call it if SA had tagged the mail as spam - I could never leave a
vacation message up before doing this.

> Anyway, with all the above in mind, to answer your actual question - it's
> just a typo:
>
> > spamassassin_router:
> [snip]
> >   "${if and { {!def:h_X-Spam-Status:} \
> >               {!eq {$received_protocol}{spamassassin-scanned}} \
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > spamassassin_transport:
> [snip]
> >   command =  /path/to/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Whoops :) Make those two match and it should work. I can't immediately
> account for why this isn't causing *all* of your mail to loop, though...

<curse words flow, head bangs off desk over and over...>

Excellent. It works perfectly after fixing that stupid mistake.

But now I'm also now I'm also confused as to why *all* of my mail wasn't
looping.

Thanks a ton for your help,
-Mark

--