Re: [Exim] Remove sender from group expansion alias

Author: Nigel Wade
To: David S. Madole
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Remove sender from group expansion alias
David S. Madole wrote:
>>From: "Nigel Wade" <nmw@???>
>>
>>I am trying to tidy up a minor annoyance I have in my Exim setup. But so
>
> far
>
>>I've not been able to find any solution to the problem. I currently do
>
> group
>
>>expansion in aliases using an LDAP lookup in a redirect router. The lookup
>>is done using the data option, and returns a list of mail address which
>
> are
>
>>then redirected.
>>
>>Currently, if the sender is a member of the group, they receive a copy of
>>the message they sent. I'd like to be able to change this, and remove the
>>sender from the expanded list. Is there any way to do this within the
>>redirect router?
>

> I don't think there's an easy way to remove the sender from the list, but
> you could suppress the delivery.
>
> See the message below I sent a few days ago on the list on the same topic.
>
> Simon did send me a reply that this approach worked for him.
>
> David
>

> -----
>

>>From: "David S. Madole" <david@???>
>>
>>>From: "Simon Fraser" <simonfr@???>
>>>
>>>As far as the documentation and posts here indicate, there's no
>>>configuration option for turning off 'me too' posts resulting from
>>>alias expansions.
>>>
>>>I've attempted to fake this ability using the data line I've included
>>>below, but it seems a nasty way of doing it. It would be a lot
>>>simpler if I could guarantee that the expanded addresses were all
>>>qualified. As it is, it removes the entire sender_address if the
>>>sender's domain is not the one that unqualified usernames get given,
>>>and removes the local_part with an optional domain if it is.
>>
>>What if you put something like this before your other routers:
>>
>>absorb_me_too:
>> condition = ${if eq{$sender_address}{$local_part@$domain}{if
>>

> eq{$original_local_part@$original_domain}{$local_part@$domain}{false}{true}}
>
>>}{false}}
>> data = :blackhole:
>>
>>This is totally untested, you might need to tweak the brackets, and it
>
> might
>
>>not do what you want at all. Just an idea.
>>
>>Basically, if the sender and recipient are the same address and the
>
> address
>
>>is not the result of an expansion, discard the message.
>>
>>Also, have you looked at qualify_preserve_domain?
>>
>>Dave

Thanks.

I'll investigate something along these lines. I think my logic will be
different, as I need to dispose of the message if the local_part *is* the
result of an expansion (otherwise noone can ever send mail to themselves).
I've not encountered $original_local_part before.

E-mail :    nmw@???
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555