Re: [Exim] Multiple recipients and whitelist checks

Author: Tony Finch
To: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiple recipients and whitelist checks
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> Looking at the log, it seems that the second batch is completed within
> typically 6 to 20 seconds of the first. Sometimes the offering MTA
> passes the second batch off to our backup MTA, sometimes they retry it
> directly themselves, but in either case the final delivery seems to be
> complete within tens of seconds. That's discounting the senders who
> didn't bother to retry: but a mere glance at the envelope-sender
> addresses etc. makes it clear that they were spammers.

Gosh that's very encouraging.

> I'm a bit surprised by how quickly it happened. I wound't have been
> surprised if some offering MTAs had delayed by up to around 15mins
> before retrying; that would have been fine by me, what say you?

15 minutes total would be towards the upper end of acceptable, but 15
minutes per batch of addresses with a different threshold is definitely
not.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
BERWICK ON TWEED TO WHITBY: SOUTH OR SOUTHEAST 2 OR 3 VEERING SOUTHWEST 3 OR 4