Re: [Exim] pull back lookup info as variable

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dave Markham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] pull back lookup info as variable
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Dave Markham wrote:

> Thanks for the reply although I am not requiring to translate any ips.

But you did say you wanted to route messages according to the ip that
dnslookup returned. translate_ip_address allows you to do just that -
either to another ip address or to a host name.

> I have looked at the dnsdb query

I don't think that will really help, since there is no means of
processing the multiple names an MX lookup will return, in order to find
IP addresses for all of them - and indeed then to scan that list.

> I know the MX will return the name of the host for mx,

... the nameS of the hostS ...

> So i am trying to find which ip it will try and connect to and if NOT
> an internal ip then send via a smart host.

translate_ip_address should be able to do this for you.

> I have managed to get it all working with ignore_target_hosts on the router
> set to be the internal ips, but from reading the book I dont think this is
> the correct use of ignore_target_hosts

People always subvert facilities intended for one use in order to solve
other problems. I'm not uncomfortable with that.