RE: [Exim] log_selector

Autor: Eli
A: 'Tony Finch', exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] log_selector
Tony Finch wrote:
> I occurs to me that it would be useful to have a mainlog_selector and
> a rejectlog_selector. There's an awesome amount of noise in my logs
> caused
> by ratware speaking pidgin-SMTP and Exim objecting to it. Hence at the
> moment I have (amongst other things)
>
> log_selector    = -host_lookup_failed -lost_incoming_connection

> But I'd like to keep the information in the rejectlog, with a view to
> using it to populate a blacklist of badly-behaved hosts. I'd also add
> +smtp_incomplete_transaction +smtp_protocol_error +smtp_syntax_error
> etc. This idea might also make the implementation of
> syslog_duplication
> simpler.

I'll second this idea - I prefer to keep all the exim stuff in one log file,
as you get a much better feel (visually when viewing log files w/out the aid
of another program) as to what happened exactly in what sequence.

My issue is that yes, there is some stuff I get logged as reject info that
I'd like to not log (esp the ip/host resolving errors that I get for helo
checks), however the main dislike I have for the reject log is the fact that
it will also log ALL headers from a message should a message be rejected
once Exim gets headers for it (ie, during the DATA acl). This means that
when using Exiscan to block a message attachment or anything else during
DATA time, my reject log info gets filled with the full set of message
headers from the message that was rejected. This has caused my log size to
skyrocket since spammers will often send to tons of recipients and they all
get recorded, as well as any other header they see fit to invent - up to 1mb
of headers which is a LOT of info I really don't care for at all (it's
completely useless to me - I log the important stuff I care about). To have
a feature to disable recording headers in the reject log would be awesome!

Eli.