Re: [Exim] Checking against "seen" Message-ID:'s to drop bou…

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Checking against "seen" Message-ID:'s to drop bounces
Suresh Ramasubramanian <linux@???> wrote:
> Christian Balzer wrote:
>
>> Did I miss some long, shrill and painful thread where greylisting
>> was branded as another bane of the internot like SPF or callout
>> verifications? (and for the record, I would agree with that
>> assessment for the later two, in varying degrees though)
>
> It does tend to be difficult to scale across anything but a single box
>
> And it slows down delivery from legitimate providers just so that
> grief can be caused to the spammers - which is bad again.

It certainly risks that, but I think there's a scale thing here, too - in
the opposite direction. In a small setup, a large percentage of the inbound
email will be between known parties, and will avoid greylisting, and the
occasional genuine new one having to wait won't be much of a penalty
compared with the benefit. Greylisting doesn't scale to something the size
of what Suresh looks after, since the percentage of genuine new combinations
is bound to much greater.

Peter