Re: [Exim] disabling outgoing mail

Author: Dan Egli
To: vadik
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] disabling outgoing mail
vadik wrote:

>> If you are getting all mail from your ISP's server what is the point
>> of running Exim at all? Seems like a waste of resources. Exim is a
>> mail transport agent. If your ISP's MTA is dealing with all the mail,
>> why use exim at all?
>>
> I am using this server for incoming mail, for number of different people
> (as well as some other stuff), so I do use Exim for incoming mail (and
> sometimes a lot of it). I am not using it for ourbound mail, and this
> feature I want to disable. I am (as well as other people) are using ISP
> SMTP for outbound mail only (sbc, comcast have port 25 and 465 closed).

I use ComCast myself, and port 25 is quite open. Have not tried 465 off
hand but don't see it being closed.

I just am having a difficult time understanding. You have mail coming
into the machine but don't want mail going out FROM the machine? Why?
Yea you can use your ISP's server, but to me at least it makes far more
sense to use a "smart host" setup, and deliver all mail to your ISP's
MTA from Exim. I don't know of an easy way to prevent mail from being
sent to exim in this fassion. Exim was designed to be multi-directional
from the get-go. I've never seen a Receive-only or Send-only setup.

I really just don't see what you have against the SmartHost setup idea.

--
-- Dan