Re: [Exim] disabling outgoing mail

Author: vadik
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] disabling outgoing mail
Dan Egli wrote:

> I use ComCast myself, and port 25 is quite open. Have not tried 465
> off hand but don't see it being closed.
>
> I just am having a difficult time understanding. You have mail coming
> into the machine but don't want mail going out FROM the machine? Why?
> Yea you can use your ISP's server, but to me at least it makes far
> more sense to use a "smart host" setup, and deliver all mail to your
> ISP's MTA from Exim. I don't know of an easy way to prevent mail from
> being sent to exim in this fassion. Exim was designed to be
> multi-directional from the get-go. I've never seen a Receive-only or
> Send-only setup.
>
> I really just don't see what you have against the SmartHost setup idea.

I personally use SBC (some other people are using comcast). SBC has
port 25 and 465 closed. My server with exim is located on different
network, without any restrictions (it is on XO), so I can not point my
home computer, nor my computer at work to use exim for SMTP. So for
security reasons, I would prefer to have outbound feature of exim to be
disabled. Smarthost idea is better than nothing.