Re: [Exim] Exim 4.34 VS 3.16

Author: John Dalbec
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.34 VS 3.16

jørn peter israelsen wrote:
> I still have the problem - exim works some hours, but it then refuses to accept
> anything but manual tests writing mails to port 25, and the -bh option does not
> reveal errors..

You may need the "-d" option as well (not -d9 as with Exim 3) to get useful
output. If that doesn't help try "-d +all". These options have to appear
before "-bh" on the command line.

> pls find below the most active of my configure file.
> the filter is unchanged from version 3.16

These configuration options might help if you're using a system_filter that
worked in 3.16:
system_filter_reply_transport = address_reply
system_filter_user = exim

Have you checked that you're not listed on any RBLs?
declude.com has a web page that you can use to look up IP addresses.

It looks like you don't understand how ACLs work. Each clause is processed in
order until an "accept" or "deny" result is obtained. No more clauses are
processed after that point. If you have an unconditional "accept" or "deny"
clause then nothing after that will ever be processed.

> the server is only used to receive mail for all the domains
>
> the exim recieves mail from a smtp AV scanner 195.192.90.31 (smaug)
> the exim_mainlog complains about a localhost.localdomain, but it does not seem
> to help to insert it, and the newly installed linux 8 is not being very helpful
>
> mail now bounces giving a unreachable or down from smaug
>
> i am goving away a few days - be back monday
>
> pls. close to revert to 3.16

That's your lookout. Just don't expect us to answer questions about 3.16.
John

> cheeers
>

> acl_smtp_rcpt = check_recipient
> acl_smtp_data = check_message
>

> domainlist local_domains = ceuherning.dk : \
>     herningts.dk : \
>     #smaug.herningts.dk : \
>     orla.ceuherning.dk : \
>     haandvaerk.dk : \
>     eami.dk : \
>     fjernundervisning.com : \
>     akademi-midt.dk : \
>     pluto.herningts.dk : \
>     #smaug.ceuherning.dk : \
>     pluto.ceuherning.dk : \
>     helpdesk.ceuherning.dk : \
>     ucherning.dk

> domainlist relay_domains = ceuherning.dk : \
>     edu.herningts.dk : \
>     smaug.ceuherning.dk : \
>     smaug.herningts.dk : \
>     195.192.90.31 : \
>     orla.ceuherning.dk : \
>     eami.dk : \
>     haandvaerk.dk : \
>     fjernundervisning.com : \
>     uni2.dk : \
>     delud.dk : \
>     koldingts.dk : \
>     akademi-midt.dk : \
>     testweb.herningts.dk : \
>     eucsyd.dk : \
>     uc.hernhs.dk : \
>     hernhs.dk : \
>     ikasths.dk : \
>     esbjts.dk : \
>     htssrv01.herningts.dk : \
>     pluto.ceuherning.dk : \
>     htssrv01.ceuherning.dk : \
>     localhost.localdomain : \
>     helpdesk.ceuherning.dk : \
>     ucherning.dk
> hostlist relay_hosts = 195.192.90.31 : \
>     195.192.90.200 : \
>     193.162.252.38 : \
>     193.162.252.2 : \
>     194.112.32.65 : \
>     193.0.0.199 : \
>     216.168.224.69 : \
>     localhost.localdomain : \
>     195.192.90.106 : \
>     195.192.90.61

> system_filter = /usr/exim/system_filter.exim
> message_body_visible = 10000
> host_lookup = 0.0.0.0/0
>

> begin acl
>
> #!!# ACL that is used after the RCPT command
> check_recipient:
>   # Exim 3 had no checking on -bs messages, so for compatibility
>   # we accept if the source is local SMTP (i.e. not over TCP/IP).
>   # We do this by testing for an empty sending host field.
>   accept  hosts = :
>   accept domains = :
>   deny    message = host is listed in $dnslist_domain
>           dnslists = rbl.maps.vix.com
>   accept  domains = +local_domains : +relay_domains

Maybe try moving the +relay_hosts clause before the RBL check?
>   accept  hosts = +relay_hosts
>   deny    message = relay not permitted !

This last ACL clause is never processed because you have an unconditional deny
above it. You probably want to move it before the RBL check.