[Exim] majordomo delivery questions

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] majordomo delivery questions
--
We have a newsletter going out to a few thousand users. Yesterday (I
did not see this problem before) a large number of users did not get
the news letter. The queue looks like this:

> sudo mailq

18h  4.9K 1BfeRE-0005GP-00 <majordomo@???>
          bulletin-outgoing@???

The last part of the message-log:
2004-06-30 15:18:37 s@???: children all complete
2004-06-30 15:18:48 x.sun.ac.za [146.232.2.117]: No route to host
2004-06-30 15:18:48 l@??? <bulletin-outgoing@???> R=relayrouter T=remote_smtp defer (113): No route to host
2004-06-30 15:19:38 x.sun.ac.za [146.232.2.117]: No route to host

Questions:

1. I thought that "children all complete" would mean that all
the deliveries in that batch have been completed. But s for
example, did not receive the message. What does "children all
complete" mean?
2. Why would exim stop to try and deliver the message because one host
is not available (x in this case)?

The router used in this exim(4.05) configuration:

mailinglist_aliases:
driver = redirect
domains = +local_domains
local_parts = "!postmaster"
allow_fail
allow_defer
data =
${lookup{$local_part}dbm{/opt/majordomo/majordomo.aliases.db}}
pipe_transport = address_pipe
file_transport = address_file
retry_use_local_part
skip_syntax_errors
syntax_errors_to = "postmaster@???"
user = majordomo

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Seeing then that we have a great high priest who has
      gone into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us
      hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not
      have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with
      our weaknesses, but we have one who was tempted in
      every way, just as we are-yet was without sin."
                             Hebrews 4:14,15