Re: [Exim] majordomo delivery questions

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] majordomo delivery questions
--
On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 10:29:41AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Johann Spies wrote:
>
> > The last part of the message-log:
> > 2004-06-30 15:18:37 s@???: children all complete
> > 2004-06-30 15:18:48 x.sun.ac.za [146.232.2.117]: No route to host
> > 2004-06-30 15:18:48 l@??? <bulletin-outgoing@???> R=relayrouter T=remote_smtp defer (113): No route to host
> > 2004-06-30 15:19:38 x.sun.ac.za [146.232.2.117]: No route to host
> >

> > Questions:
> >
> > 1. I thought that "children all complete" would mean that all
> >    the deliveries in that batch have been completed.  But s for
> >    example, did not receive the message.  What does "children all
> >    complete" mean?

> It means that "s" is an alias for a list of other addresses, and all of
> them have now been delivered.

Thanks.

> > 2. Why would exim stop to try and deliver the message because one host
> >    is not available (x in this case)?

> > The router used in this exim(4.05) configuration:
> >
> > mailinglist_aliases:
> > driver = redirect
>
> <snip>
>
> You don't show the ""relayrouter" router, which is the one that actually
> handles the deliveries (see your log line). My GUESS, from the name of
> the router, is that it is sending everything to a smart host. If the
> smart host gets lost (no route to host) then nothing can be delivered...
>
> If this is not the case, try a delivery with debugging enabled to see
> what is going on.

Apologies. I have overlooked the fact that the relayrouter was
invovled in the failed deliveries:

The relayrouter:

relayrouter:
driver = manualroute
domains = ! +local_domains
route_data = ${lookup pgsql {select distinct route from
smtprelayhosts2 where
host = '$domain' limit 1}}
transport = remote_smtp

I suspect a problem in the exchange server to which most the mail gets
delivered.

Maybe another question will clear up something for me:

When I look in

/etc/exim/spool/input/Z/1BfzuZ-00048E-00-H

I see entries like(I have changed the usernames except my own):

YY a@???
NN a@???
YY jspies@???
YY s@???
NN s@???
YY son@???
YN son@???

The email for j was delivered directly to his pc as it should. Email
for s@??? should be delivered at s@??? and the
same with users son and a in the above example.

What does YY, NN and YN stand for?

j received his email but s, a and son not.

In the entries for these addresses in the message log: