Re: [Exim] SMTP

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP
On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 12:40:32PM +0100, Ron McKeating wrote:
> Hi fellow exim lovers,
>
> I am trying very hard to make the case to our management that we should
> do authenticated smtp through our servers from off campus. The response
> I am getting is "What do others do?"

It's certainly what we do.

> In general is that the accepted way
> of doing things. Is that the 'only' proper way to allow your users to
> route through your servers from off site.

It's the simplest, most secure and most convenient IMO. It allows mail
access and absolutely no more. It also has the benefits that a) your
roaming account holders are less likely to be rejected by anti-spam
measures and b) you can easily track what is being sent by those users.
IME, management tend to find that last point especially comforting.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.