Re: [Exim] HELP ! Big exim problems

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Bruce Richardson
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] HELP ! Big exim problems
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:47:48AM +1000, Michael Bonnice wrote:
> "The list of users specified by never_users is not, however, the complete
> list; the build-time configuration in Local/Makefile has an option called
> FIXED_NEVER_USERS specifying a list that cannot be overridden. The contents
> of never_users are added to this list. By default FIXED_NEVER_USERS also
> specifies root. "

That doesn't mean that exim can never run as root: it means that
deliveries can never be made while running as root.

> I was running exim_user as root, which is now on the FIXED_NEVER_USERS list.

You shouldn't really have exim_user as root. It makes running Exim
significantly less secure. You can read all about this here:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_48.html#CHAP48

> I have tried changing the exim_user to exim and now I cant authenticate to
> send mail - I have smtp authentication enabled.

What are you authenticating against? If you have created your own
password files, you just need to change their ownership to allow the
exim user or group to be able to read them. If you're authenticating
against something that requires root priveleges (e.g. the shadow
password file) then there are possible solutions. See
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/FAQ_0.html#TOC29

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick