[Exim] Wishlist, JIS safe custom error messages

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Christian Balzer
Para: exim-users
Assunto: [Exim] Wishlist, JIS safe custom error messages
Hello,

As one can gather from my .sig and whois, I'm hailing from Japan.
The standard encoding for mails with Japanese characters is
ISO-2022-JP which equals JIS. A typical example follows, the actual
escape character is denoted by ESC. ;)
---
ESC$BEl5~ETK-Eg6hCSB^ESC(B2-51-14ESC$BHtfF%S%kESC(B7ESC$B3,ESC(B
---
The (faked) address of a spammer, btw. :)

Exim 3 would throw a hissing fit when encountering ESC characters,
4.x seems to be more tolerable but it still doesn't work. The above
string in a bounce message file results in:
---
2004-06-19 16:43:00 1BbaV9-0005ty-5T Failed to expand string from
bounce_message_file or warn_message_file (intro): unknown variable name "BEl5"
---
and the whole section reverts to the default text.

An obvious solution would be to ignore unknown $xyz sequences and with
JIS that would be a rather safe bet. To be certain in all possible
character sets I guess having a "map internal $variable to ~safe_here"
feature would be the ultimate solution. But just ignoring unknown
variables strikes me as a good idea and easy thing to begin with.

Along the same lines I would suggest adding a quota_warn_message_file
option, editing the main configuration for this template is not the
best idea and rather cumbersome. And makes it nicely similar to the
bounce/warn_message_file options.

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi@???       Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services