Re: [Exim] SMTP Logging

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Lonnie Santella
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] SMTP Logging
Nested deep inside that reply, Greg, in between the sarcasm and insults, is
some good advice, indeed some common sense among the BSD pros. If you
re-read my question I think you'll discover that I'm completely open to
doing this the best way possible.

I've been running various distros of Linux and versions of FreeBSD for a
couple years - though little demand has been placed on the servers, and
there hasn't been much occasion to explore various ways of
storing/retrieving/reporting on hundreds of thousands of email messages -
that is, until now.

What started out as a very small percentage of our business model has won
approval and become significantly important. We are rapidly approaching the
need to scale it larger, and produce more rapid and efficient reports and
result sets based on our message flow (inbound and outbound). We have to be
able to scan the entire message "store" and search for a wide variety of
criteria, and produce results and reports accordingly. All along we've been
doing this with MS Exchange 2000 and SQL 2000 - with the use of SMTP event
syncs. Storing the message bodies (along with the headers and SMTP DSN
codes) long term in an SQL database has been the only efficient means of
working with the data.

Having a history with Unix-like environments and believing in their
stability and performance, I'm making every effort to migrate our messaging
campaign system from Microsoft to FreeBSD and/or Linux. I'm not an expert,
however. I've been running *nix servers for quite a while. I've done my
homework, I've read volumes of documentation and FAQ's. But I still don't
have the answers yet - which is why I turned to these news groups. Bounce
questions and ideas off my piers and my seniors. I thought that was the idea
here. Not to get insulted and belittled. I have an honest objective, and I'm
asking honest questions. I appreciate your insight and advice, but I can do
without the rude commentary.

We send out thousands of email campaigns per night - to folks who have
registered for such a service. We use a SQL server to compose the original
campaign (inserting Pharma data and news where appropriate) then send it off
through a robust SMTP server (i.e. Exim hopefully in the near future). We
track our campaigns via subject, consumer market, (MESSAGE BODY), and
various other factors. Naturally we need to be able to record the bodies of
messages in order to retrieve the campaign from "archive" months, perhaps
years after the campaign was started. Trying not to start another war with
Microsoft here, I'm just trying to explain that it has been cumbersome
querying data from an Exchange store, not to mention difficult just to
record the message bodies to a SQL database. Having the message bodies
stored in an organized manner, sufficient to build analysis and reporting
from is my goal. I'm open to any good way of doing this.

My developers are all Microsoft centric, they use Microsoft machines to do
the data mining and report building. So ultimately they have to "plug" into
a unix-like environment from their Microsoft infected PC, fish through just
under a million messages based on somewhat advanced criteria, and produce
some results.

I'm not giving this the shot-gun approach. I've stayed away from posting in
these groups for as long as I could. I searched for almost two weeks for
answers and strategies, but I'm coming up short. To summarize:

* Send 25,000 email messages per night as a single campaign.
* Each night represents a different campaign.
* Form an intelligent search, sifting through millions of messages based on
criteria.
* Do the searching from a Microsoft PC, though the data is stored initially
in a *nix environment.

I'm not asking for the full set of instructions, just a nudge in the right
direction. I'm a reasonably intelligent and resourceful person - but I seem
to be getting on to the wrong track.

Thank you again for your guidance here.

Lonnie