Re: [Exim] Matching bounce recipients against sender hashes

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Matching bounce recipients against sender hashes
On Jun 10, 2004, at 16:22, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
> do you seriously think that spammers will try to find a way for you to
> get the bounces?
> I think you would be safe even not using any encoding at all.

Very likely true, if I am the only one doing this. I _am_ sort eyeing
the idea of writing up an "SMTP-time spam filtering HOWTO" in the near
future, wherein I could suggest someting along these lines. If enough
people are doing something similar, such local_part_suffix combinations
of addressess would soon make it onto ratware delivery engines..

> My concern would only be for broken MTA sending bounces to the header
> sender (are there any around), or for broken MUA sending replies to
> the envelope sender (same question).

If such MTAs exist (which I doubt, as far as the major players go),
they deserve what they get.    MUAs sending replies to the envelope
sender would not be a problem - the mail would get delivered anyway.
("local_part_suffix = +*").

-tor