Re: [Exim] Exim & spamd.. eating all my memory and cpu

Autor: Tor Slettnes
A: Finn Boje Johannessen
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim & spamd.. eating all my memory and cpu
On Jun 3, 2004, at 00:02, Finn Boje Johannessen wrote:

> I got a problem with exim and spamd.....
>
> It looks like spamd and exim is eating all my memory and cpu....
> So I have to restart the server from time to time.....

You could start "spamd" with a "nice" level of 15 or so.
  - On a Debian system, uncomment "NICE="--nicelevel 15" in
/etc/default/spamassassin;
  - elsewhere, try to figure out if there is an options file that is
read by the SA
    startup script (usually in /etc/init.d/spamd,
/etc/init.d/spamassassin, or such).
  - if not, edit the startup script itself.

Also, you could prevent SA from scanning local mails (as you suggested)
or very large mails. If you invoke SA through ExiScan-ACL, you can use
something like this in the data ACL:

   # Accept messages from local hosts
   accept
     hosts  = $interface_address : +relay_from_hosts

   # Accept very large messages without scanning
   accept
     condition = ${if > {$message_size}{1M} {true}}
     logwrite  = :main: Not classified (message size larger than 1M)

   # Invoke SpamAssassin (via the "spam" condition), and pretend to
reject
   # the message if it is spam.  Also save the word "ham" or "spam" in
$acl_m9.
   warn
     set acl_m9 = ham
     spam       = mail
     set acl_m9 = spam
     !hosts     = ${if exists {/etc/mail/whitelist-hosts}\
                       {/etc/mail/whitelist-hosts}{}}
     control    = fakereject
     logwrite   = :reject: Rejected spam (score $spam_score):
$spam_report

   # Add appropriate X-Spam-Status header, for use in filters at
delivery time.
   warn
     message    = X-Spam-Status: \
                  ${if eq {$acl_m9}{spam}{Yes}{No}} (score $spam_score)\
                  ${if def:spam_report {: $spam_report}}
     logwrite   = :main: Classified as $acl_m9 (score $spam_score)

accept

-tor