Re: [Exim] NFS mounted/shared queue

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] NFS mounted/shared queue
Ray Jackson wrote:

..[snip]...

> What does the list think about mounting a mail queue over NFS and having
> 3 servers running Exim servicing the same queue?

In general, do not share the individual mail queue/db files .
(i.e. /var/spool/exim/incomig/ /var/spool/exim/db/, etc.)
depending on the OS used, and the type of hardware/software used for the
nfs mount points (SAN/NAS) and the type of mail file (mbx, mbox, maildir)
storage, it can all depend. It can be done, but I prefer when available,
to run things on different servers and pass the users to their server. A
pop/imap proxy for example. I do hear (no real personal experience) that
SUN/SGI have much better NFS support than does linux/freebsd, and lots
of people like NFS and find it very stable on those OS's, I do know that
I have had some bad experiences with linux and NFS. Also, something
else to look into is to use SMB to do the remote shares. I have some
very good experience with that on linux platforms (sharing network dirs,
not for sharing spool files, never tried it), primarily because SMB
and NFS were designed to do completely different things, in completely
different environments.

This is an old thread, but a good one :)
http://playground.sun.com/pub/nfsv4/nfsv4-wg-archive/1999/0130.html

Overall, my perosnal opinion is to use commercial SAN/NAS for such
purposes, although that can be more expensive.

IBM specific, but good information:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/snetwork/

--

--EAL--