Re: [Exim] can anyone advise me about email rejections?

Author: Darron Broad
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] can anyone advise me about email rejections?
In message <2737.12.107.177.236.1085952046.squirrel@www.tnet.com>, "Kevin Reed" wrote:
>Darron Broad said:

Hello

>I wouldn't mess around with trying to hook into Exim itself and instead
>sinple design a process that parses the data from the log files themselves
>directly.

This is good advice and after checking the source there would appear to be
little benefit patching the vararg driven log output routine over doing
it by tailing the log file (there are no unique error codes and a regex
driven parser must be utilised to work out what happened regardless).

>You could then process them a slow periods in the day so that any load if
>any is mitigated. You can easily keep track of where you have looked by
>the timestamps in the logs.

>You could then at your leasure do just about anything you could possibly
>desire such as outputing reports, updating databases etc.. without any
>distrubance to your regular mail processes.

This is true, but the real intention is for this to be in real time with
records having a short life span, perhaps expiring within hours.

Hopefully that will be feasable and in my personal case it should be,
as I don't have a massive mail overhead to worry about.

I will be keeping the potential scale of things in mind however.

Thanks for your input.

darron

--

// /