[Exim] EXIM LDAP Virtual Users & Distribution Lists

Author: Lee W
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] EXIM LDAP Virtual Users & Distribution Lists
Hi Everyone,

First of all I better say that I have only just started using exim so am still
finding my feet (please be gentle :->)

I am trying to setup a completely virtual mail server (users with no shell
accounts) that users will access though LDAP and a couple of things I am having
trouble figuring out.

Firstly, one of the things I wish to do is keep the users mail & files (accessed
via SAMBA) seperate. So I need to specify two paths in the accounts, the
posixAccount LDAP type has an attribute for homeDirectory, but I have been
unable to find an equivilent mailDirectory attribute anywhere. Would it be
possible to use the attribute 'otherMailbox' to represent something like
'EXIMDIR:/var/mail/vusers/user1' which is the users maildir on the server or can
someone suggest another way of doing it?

Secondly (and this is the bit I really cannot get my head round), is there a
good way of storing distribution lists in LDAP so that the email address for the
list only has to be updated in one place, or does every user have to have the
list address as part of the account properties? I though that I may be able to
setup a transport that deals on with distribution lists and therefore be able to
find the name of the list by the address and then do a second query to determine
who are the members of that lists. Sorry that I unable to provide an example of
the LDAP query as I still trying to figure it out but here is roughly what I
think could be done:-

    Mail comes in addressed to all-users@???
    EXIM performs LDAP query for mail:
all-users@???,objectclass=InetOrgPerson
    If no entry is found it passes though to the LISTS router which checks for
the same address but with
       objectclass=InetDistributionList
    If entry is found then another query is run that finds multiple users that
have attribute listMember: distListName (from the
       previous query).
    If no entries our found message bounces or possibly is simply discarded.

I have made up a few LDAP objects in there as I was unable to find any for
handling lists.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer or to tell me that I am going
about this completely the wrong way.

Regards

Lee